Time is one of the most valuable resources that we have and learning how to manage it properly is an excellent transferrable skill. Mastering time management will benefit you in a number of ways such as, increasing productivity, more leisure time, less stress and fewer opportunities for procrastination, to name a few. The benefits are an excellent reason to give time blocking a try to boost your time management!
"Time is more valuable than money. You can get more money, but you cannot get more time."
- Jim Rohn
What is time blocking?
Time blocking is a time management technique where you allocate blocks of time to carry out and complete a specific task or set of tasks. For example, you can block out your morning routine, time to go to the gym, study periods, work shifts, relaxation time, social events, you can time block anything you want to!
By allocating a time slot to complete a task you can dedicate your full attention to that task and most importantly get it done! If you have tried to get better with your time management but yet have had trouble, here is our complete guide to time blocking!
All you need is a daily planner/calendar that has the hours of the day, this can be physical or digital, whichever works best for you.
- Write down all of your tasks for the day/week – this will give you clarity on what you need to focus on whilst also organising your day/week ahead of time.
- Decide how long you need for each task – will you need 10 minutes, 30 minutes, an hour or more? Once you have figured out how long it will take, give yourself some extra time to ensure you get the task done.
- Begin to map out your tasks for the day/week – remember to schedule breaks between tasks and time to relax! Figure out the best time and days to get certain tasks done.
- Finalise your tasks and begin time blocking – make it creative in your own way, especially if it is in a physical planner! And become confident in your new schedule.
- Do it! – the easy part is done, now comes the challenge of actually sticking to your schedule. Some days will go great whilst others not so much. It is ok! Remember that life is always changing, adapt when needed. Figure out what works for you and what does not.
"Yesterday is gone. Tomorrow has not yet come. We have only today. Let us begin."
- Mother Teresa
Inspire Spirit Planner & Time Blocking
The Inspire Spirit is a great aid in using the time blocking technique. The weekly overview in our planners are an excellent way to practice time blocking as there is plenty of space to be creative, fit in all your tasks and fits into your lifestyle!
It’s likely that you’ve heard the phrase “we all have the same 24 hours in a day” which is true, however one person’s 24 hours may look different to another persons 24 hours. The most important thing is spending the 24 hours in the way that you see is best!